Ballistic Gasifier

A couple of pieces of obtanium have conspired to become a small engine gasifier.
KIMG0645
From left to right: cooler, water drip threaded into primary air inlet, heat shield, reactor body, sealing flange for pass thru nozzle.
KIMG0632
The nozzle is a 12" piece of 1-1/2" schedule 80 pipe with a tungsten carbide sandblast nozzle threaded in vertically.
KIMG0641
these carbide nozzles come in various sizes so I can experiment for best match to engine and loads.
KIMG0647
This old oil filled heater is becoming a cooler by blocking the gas flow between two of the chambers in the top to give it 4 cooling webs going down, then through the bottom and three paths up

12 Likes

Hi Bruce , your going great guns on the new build :grin: cant wait to see the finished build .
Love the way you have plugged the chambers to get the gas going in the direction you want .
Dave

3 Likes

Love the oil filled heater conversion. Just happen to have a defunct
one that will have a new life outside the landfill! Pepe

3 Likes

That’s one awesome project! Nice

I added a three-way valve to switch between flare and engine. The flare/startup blower threads nicely into 1" NPT.
KIMG0663

8 Likes

Filter is inside the reactor.
KIMG0665
It is amazing what you collect when looking for gasifier related stuff. This is a 25 micron stainless steel screen tube. Got a deal on ebay. One end is a bit larger than the other so i assume they were manufacturing rejects.
KIMG0668
I’m going to try 3 inches of fiberglass insulation as the primary filter and the 25 micron as the secondary.
KIMG0669
KIMG0670

3 Likes

Hi Bruce, that is a nice compact , simple , and good looking build. Thanks for sharing.
Bob

1 Like

KIMG0677
Converting the heater into a cooler is a little like building a ship in a bottle.
The outlet fitting is a 1" x 3/4" reducing bushing drilled out to 1" ID. The hex nut portion of the bushing is ground down to allow it to pass through the 1-1/2" internal openings, but still catch on the 1-1/4" exit hole. It is held in place with a 1" electrical lock nut.
In order to force the 2" rubber washers through the 1-1/2" holes and into position and to tighten the internal nuts, I made a little tool by epoxying a 1/4" drive 7/16" socket into the end of a piece of EMT conduit.

5 Likes

I added a monster sized EGR valve and a piece of scrap stainless steel for a heat shield. This is definitely a Frankenstein, I hope it walks and talks.
KIMG0679
I think gauges will be next.

4 Likes